The South African government is stepping up initiatives to accelerate broadband coverage as part of its digital transformation ambitions. The executive is currently negotiating with operator Telkom to provide broadband connectivity services to the population.
Last week, the South African Department of Communications and Digital Technologies (DCDT) and Huawei South Africa launched a joint initiative to accelerate the development of the digital economy in the rainbow nation.
The partnership focuses on two key areas. These are improving the deployment of broadband infrastructure and building the skills and capabilities of South Africa's small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The cooperation also covers other areas such as the growth of the digital economy, industrial digitization, cloud, and skills development in the telecommunications field.
This initiative is part of a wider cooperation agreement signed between the two parties earlier this month. It will see Huawei share with the South African government global best practices for digital economy policy planning and technology deployments, among others.
The collaboration between the DCDT and Huawei comes on top of the various actions undertaken by the South African government to accelerate the country's broadband coverage as part of its digital transformation ambitions. The executive revealed last July that it plans to connect 1.7 million homes to broadband Internet over the next few years. Negotiations are underway with public and private entities, including telecom operator Telkom, to implement the program.
In February 2022, the government approved the implementation of the second phase of "South Africa Connect (SA Connect)", the national broadband policy launched in 2013. This phase aims to provide 80% of public administrations, communities, and homes with broadband access within three years.
"Huawei and DCDT are both optimistic about the future of the country's digital transformation process, and our partnership agreement will go a long way towards ensuring that ICT drives the economy forward, taking every citizen with it," said Will Meng, CEO of Huawei South Africa.
Isaac K. Kassouwi
South Africa led with 35% of total deal value, ahead of Kenya and Egypt Inbound deal value ro...
Safran invests €280m to build one of the world's largest landing gear plants in Morocco, crea...
Industrial, jewelry and silverware demand expected to decline in 2026. Physical investment ...
This week in Africa, Africa CDC is stepping up its drive for health sovereignty, building new partne...
Global South Utilities (GSU) has begun building a 5 MWp hybrid solar plant with 5 MWh battery st...
Egypt reached 9.1 GW of installed renewable capacity in fiscal Q2 2025/2026, up from 8.6 GW a year earlier. Solar and wind accounted for more than...
Supreme Court rules 6–3: IEEPA does not authorise the President to impose tariffs. Constitutional principle upheld: taxing power belongs exclusively to...
EACOP costs rise to $5.6 billion, 55% above estimates Uganda oil revenues could fall up to 53%, IEEFA says Tanzania, Uganda target first crude...
Nigeria targets tripling yam yields to 30 tons/hectare Plan aims to cut post-harvest losses to 25% Authorities promote improved varieties,...
The University of Lomé on Wednesday opened a fossil and rock exhibition hall showcasing specimens from the country’s coastal sedimentary basin. Led by the...
Senegal, Morocco resume talks on film co-production pact Countries seek revised agreement on training, distribution Partnership produced two...