Chemaf has had a 25-year lease on a copper-cobalt permit belonging to Gécamines since 2015. To develop this permit, Chemaf has put itself up for sale in 2023, as it was struggling to finance the project. However, Gécamines is yet to approve the sale.
The sale of Chemaf Resources, a copper-cobalt miner in the DRC, will not go through without the approval of Gécamine, the State mining company. Guy-Robert Lukama, Gécamines’ boss, said so, highlighting that Chemaf would lose a major permit if it went through the deal anyway.
"If they sell, we will withdraw the lease contract," said Lukama, quoted by Bloomberg on June 14. Meanwhile, Chemaf claims it obtained the agreement of the Minister of Mines for the deal and is preparing to seek Gecamines’.
In 2015, Gecamines signed a lease agreement to cede its mining rights on a copper-cobalt permit for 25 years. The permit hosts Mutoshi, Chemaf's flagship project in the DRC. Since 2018, Chemaf has been planning to develop on the permit a complex capable of delivering 16,000 tonnes of cobalt and 50,000 tonnes of copper annually.
However, Chemaf put itself up for sale last year due to difficulties in raising funds to cover the development of the complex. The company seeks a buyer that can raise the $250-300 million needed to finalize the project. Chemaf has already taken out a $600 million loan from commodities trader Trafigura to finance the project.
Absa Kenya hires M-PESA’s Sitoyo Lopokoiyit, signalling a shift from branch banking to a telecom-s...
Ziidi Trader enables NSE share trading via M-Pesa M-Pesa revenue rose 15.2% to 161.1 billio...
MTN Group has no official presence in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the mobile market is d...
Deposits grow 2.7%, supporting lending recovery Average loan sizes small, credit risk persists ...
Global South Utilities (GSU) has begun building a 5 MWp hybrid solar plant with 5 MWh battery st...
Gabon suspended import duties, VAT, and scanning fees on essential goods for six months to curb living costs. The government targeted food staples and...
Senegal launched phase 3 of the “Sukaabe Jango” program to provide hot meals to 135,424 students in six southern departments. The initiative will...
The DRC’s Universal Service Development Fund (FDSU) launched a 2026–2035 strategy to connect nearly 68 million rural residents. The plan relies on...
Nigeria launched an emergency program on February 12 to curb the spread of Tuta absoluta, which can destroy up to 80–100% of untreated tomato...
While Afrobeat has evolved into what is now known as Afrobeats, there is little dispute that the movement was pioneered by Fela Kuti. A musical genius and...
Benin is guest of honor at the 2026 African Book Fair in Paris. More than 400 authors and 150 publishers from 20 countries are expected. The spotlight...